Saturday, June 30, 2007

Finally we get to write!

Here she is! Our little Ellie ( aka Jinjin) We thought about calling her Jinjin, but the pronouncation in Cantonese is very difficult for us to say let alone remember.
She is the perfect daughter for us. I do not know how the matching process works, but everyone in our group has the "perfect" daughter for them. Ellie is very independant.
She is called "the walker" She loves to walk all over the hotel. The 1st night there was great intensity in her walking, like she was searching for something. The 2nd day we had to return to the Civil government building and finalize some papers.(the building and room where they presented her to us the day before) All the care takers were there from her orphange, plus the 8 families in our Gunagzhou group.
There was a lot of noise and confusion going on as I watched her slowly shut down.
She stood in the center of the room and rocked side to side, shifing her weight from right to left, with a blank stare on her face. My poor little girl, she had no idea what was going on, who she was supposed to be with, or what she was supposed to do.
Each evening at 6:00 p.m. we all meet in the hotel lobby to go to dinner. Some of the other children have that "march of peguin" walk. It is not that they are shut down, just learning to walk. It is actually sort of funny when by accident they line up ( 2 or three in a row) and rock and walk...just like the Emperor Peguins in Antartica.
She is a very sweet little girl. I have been sitting her on my lap and feeding her at mealtime. The 2nd evening she tried to feed me! Paul was so happy this morning when she gave tried to put a grain of rice in his mouth.
Just like her mama, she grinds her teeth, but Ellie really grinds, so much so that when Paul and I first got her alone we thought someone was playing the castanettes. We looked at each other in shock "did that horible sound come from our daughter?" OH, it must hurt so much! It's like she's eating her own teeth. Today is day 5 with her, and she has only done this a few times today. As soon as we get home, it is off to the dentist! Mama and Ellie will have matching night guards.
We are meeting my Uncle Charles and his wife in just 20 minutes. They flew down from Shanghai to spend the weekend with us. I will give details of how I have a Chinese Uncle in my next post.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey congrats!!!
Can't wait till you guys come home and I get to see her. From the pictures she looks So cute! Have fun in China.

Unknown said...

Hey congrats!!!
Can't wait till you guys come home and I get to see her. From the pictures she looks So cute! Have fun in China.

Unknown said...

Hello to you in China! We've enjoyed reading about your adventures as new parents. We can hardly wait to meet Ellie. We're so happy for you. And Happy belated Birthday to you' Paul. This is one you'll never forget. Congratulations to all 3 of you!
Love, Charlene

Unknown said...

Hello Aunt Debby, Uncle Paul and little Ellie! This is Genny (I need to get my own account.) I love reading your blog and almost living this beautiful adventure with you. We (Bob, Josh, kids and I) can hardly wait to meet little Ellie. All my love, Genny